Submit a Letter of Recommendation to Interfolio
When a letter of recommendation is requested from you, you will receive an email notifying you of the request.
After receiving a request, you can upload the letter directly to Interfolio, or, if your requester has provided you with a document request form, you may choose to mail your letter to Interfolio.
You don't need an active Letter Writer account to upload letters of recommendation to Interfolio, but we invite you to activate your free Interfolio account to help you organize, store, and send all of your recommendation and evaluation requests.
Note: Some organizations require signatures on letters of recommendation, including letters submitted electronically. Please check to make sure your letter is signed if the requester has indicated that a signature is required. You can choose to sign and scan your letter, use software for adding digital signatures, or use our built-in digital signature tool to create and add a digital signature to your document before uploading it.
1. Click "View Details" in the email notifying you of the request for a recommendation
2. Click "Accept" or "Decline"
You will be taken to a page with information about the request. You can choose to accept the request and begin the process of writing and submitting a letter, or you can decline the request.
No matter which option you select, you can change your mind later.
If applicable, you may see the following fields on the request page:
- Due By: If the requester has set a due date for the request, it will appear here
- Destination: If the recommendation is for a particular opportunity, the name of the institution will appear here
- Message: If the requester includes a message with the request, the text will appear here
- Signature: This field will appear if a signature has been requested for the document. See here for more information on signing your letter.
- Documents: If documents are attached to the request, click the document name to download it to your computer
3. If you accept the request for a recommendation, you will be taken to a page where you will see a check mark indicating your decision and where you can upload your letter
3.1. Click "Submit" when you are ready to submit your recommendation
3.2. You will receive a confirmation email when your recommendation is successfully added to the requester's Dossier
4. If you decline the request for a recommendation:
The requester will be informed of your decision when they check the status of the request in their Dossier account.
Note that you have the option to change your mind. To get back to this screen, click the link in the request email.
You will receive an email notifying you of the letter request:
1. Choose to accept the request
You will be taken to a page where you can submit the letter:
2. Click "Select File for Upload"
3. You can drag & drop the file with your response, or browse to upload it
4. Click "Submit Recommendation"
You document will be sent to the appropriate committees for review
It's that simple!
Activate your free Interfolio account if you want to make your letter writing process even easier!
Activating a¬†free¬†account with Interfolio allows you to store and send confidential letters of recommendation for candidates to a range of academic opportunities, from grants to tenure reviews to faculty positions. Plus, your account will contain any previous history of letter requests that were sent to this email address.